Thursday, January 31, 2013

Special Guest Author Alicia Dean

Today, The Naughty Ink is excited to have Alicia Dean with us. Thanks for being here, Alicia. Congratulations on your success!

Thank you so much. I’m happy to be here.


Q. Tell us a little about yourself and what got you into writing.

I live in Edmond, Oklahoma. I have been divorced for years and have three grown kids who, fortunately, still like to hang out with me. I have loved to read since I was a small child, and my mind often conjured stories of my own. When I was eleven, I wrote my first romance. I wanted to be an author from that moment on.


Q. Your tag line on your website is "Journey into the hearts of lovers and the minds of killers." What drew you to romance and suspense?

I love the thrill of a good suspense, the tension of danger and not knowing what’s going to happen, how a character will survive a particular situation. And I love the conflict of a good romance when two people who maybe shouldn’t be together are drawn to one another and, against all odds, fall in love. I guess I’m drawn to strife in general. Grin


Q. Do you have a favorite genre that you read that's not romance?

I love suspense/thriller/police procedural type books by authors such as Michael Connelly, Dennis Lehane, Lee Child, Ridley Pearson, etc, I also love horror, the master, Stephen King, being my favorite.


Q. What goes on in a typical writing day for you?

Typically, I like to have Sundays to myself to write. As far as typical, it depends on what stage I’m at in my manuscript. I have four basic draft steps and my approach is a little different for each one.


Q. What is your favorite trope to use in your writing?

I’m not sure if I have a favorite. 
My critique partners might argue with that.
Shocked eyes



Q. If you could give your pre-published self some advice, what would it be?

Stick with it and keep writing. Learn as much as you can. I took years off that I wish I hadn’t.


Q. Have you ever written something that scared you silly?

Unfortunately, no. I would love it if my writing scared me, but I have watched horror movies and read so many good, creepy stories that my own seem a little mild. Even though others tell me I’ve creeped them out.


Q. What one thing can you not write without?

Quiet.


Q. Print, e-book or both?

Definitely both. I’ll never want to give up print, but I love the convenience of e-books.


Q. What's the title and print date of your next release?

My next release is as yet untitled. It will be the sequel to Liberty Awakened. It should be out in late February, early March. It will be Isle of Fangs Book 2.


Bonus:
1. Favorite book – Can’t pick one, but the Harry Bosch series or the Patrick Kenzie series are my favorite series.

2. Favorite movie – Again, can’t pick one, but Gone With The Wind is right up there.

3. Book character you most identify with and why – I’m not sure I identify that closely with any characters in books I’ve read. That’s one thing I love about reading, is the escape, and getting in the skin of people I’d like to be. In that way, I’d have to say Angie Gennaro from Dennis Lehane’s books. She’s smart and funny, although damaged, but she makes admirable decisions that I can’t always completely agree with, but I understand why she makes them.

4. If you could inhabit any fictional world, where would it be? – Probably Derry or Castle Rock, Maine
5. Soda, Tea, Water or Alcohol? Alcohol!!! Drinking Red Wine


My latest release is a YA Vampire Novella, 
Liberty Awakened, Isle of Fangs Book 1:

Blurb:

Evil lurks beneath the surface in the beauty of the tropics…
After graduation from her small, Oklahoma high school, Liberty Delacort is looking forward to a fun-filled summer before college. But when the people she trusts the most betray her, and a letter arrives claiming the father she thought was dead is still alive, she jumps at the chance to travel to an exotic island to meet him.
But her excitement is short-lived. Her father is dying, and he doesn’t want her around. In spite of its outward tranquility, the island is filled with danger and ominous secrets. Before long, the secrets begin to unravel. She learns she is a descendant of Van Helsing, the vampire hunter, and she must fulfill her destiny in order to save humans from a faction of vicious vampires. The only man who can help her learn the skills she needs is a volatile, hostile, vampire who wants her off the island.
Will her inexperience lead to her death—and the death of others—or will she rise to the challenge and realize her full potential as a Hunter?


Spread the word! This Tweet is just the right size. Help an author out by copying and tweeting for Alicia:

On a tropical island, a young woman finds love & discovers her destiny is to hunt vampires. #YA #vampires http://buff.ly/WaEWpg #MYAHA


Excerpt:


She braced her hands on the door, intending to step back. Before she could, Eli lifted his head and whipped it toward her. He couldn’t have heard her, could he? She’d barely made a sound. Maybe he just sensed— 

Her thoughts ceased when she took a closer look at Eli’s face. He stood in place, breathing heavily. She narrowed her eyes. God. No.  
His features were somehow distorted, his skin had a gray cast and looked…crumpled. His eyes glowed red. Something dark and liquid—blood?—was smeared around his mouth, dripped off his…fangs?
“No!” She let out the cry before she could stop herself, then clamped a hand over her mouth. Backing from the door, she shook her head violently from side to side. It couldn’t be. No way. She had to have imagined it. 
A sound at the door told her Eli was coming out. She turned and fled. Her tennis shoes slapped the ground, the noise reverberating in her ears along with the word—vampirevampirevampire. Oh my God. Vampire… Bats… Drained



Buy Liberty Awakened at Amazon by clicking HERE!

Buy Liberty Awakened at Barnes & Noble by clicking HERE!



Visit Alicia at her website at www.AliciaDean.com
Connect with her on Twitter: @Alicia_Dean_

Alicia, thank you so much for stopping by the Naughty Ink today. We wish you continued success!!

Happy reading,
Jennifer


13 comments:

  1. Love the graphics...thanks, Jennifer! And thank you for the fun interview. By the way, I am giving away a copy of Liberty Awakened for either the Kindle or Nook to two commenters whose names I'll draw this Monday, February 4, so be sure to leave your email address in your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your latest release, Alicia! I love your tagline! I'm the oposite, in that I need background noise to write. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica. Tag lines are tough to write, but fun. I might try the background noise thing. I hear it distracts your logical side and sets your creative side free. I think my main issue is real live people being around, LOL. Pestering, interrupting, you know...

      Delete
  3. Great excerpt! congrats on new release & I can't wait to read it. Sometimes music works for me and sometimes it doesn't. I wish I had a firm routine but it's the characters that make things different.
    GWTW is one of my all-time fave movies too.
    Happy sales! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kacey. I'm glad you like the excerpt. And that you're a fellow GWTW fan! Take care!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Alicia, great interview. I too seek out quiet when I write, but I find I'm more creative when I have a lite rock radio station on in the background--must take me back to my younger romantic years. But I do find I can't be creative with others around me. As for the 'horror'aspect of writing--I'd scare myself silly just thinking up all those vampires--especially if I was alone in the house. All the best on your new release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Carol. I wish I could get scared silly by my writing...I LOVE that feeling. (Yes, I'm twisted) Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I have to have quiet when I write, too. Music is ok but it has to be without lyrics. Too distracting. I really don't like being scared. However, I do like your books. Weird, huh? All the best for your latest release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Diane. Yes, a bit weird, but I'm glad I haven't scared you off. Thanks for stopping by and for the well wishes.

      Delete
  6. Alicia, thanks again for stopping by. AND giving away free books. Heck yeah!!!
    I have to have music when I write but more often than not it has to be the soundtrack to Phantom of the Opera (the stage production, not the movie) UNLESS I'm writing a medieval book then it has to be the Braveheart soundtrack. Writers are weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jennifer, we are wonderfully, beautifully weird. :-) Thank you for having me...I'm enjoying being here. I've never seen Phantom. (I know, shameful! I'm not a theater buff but should be) Braveheart...love that movie!

      Delete
  7. It was very nice reading more about you, Alicia. Best wishes.
    -R.T. Wolfe

    ReplyDelete