Saturday, January 12, 2013

Dinner & A Movie Jan. 12, 2013

Grease is the Word!

Tonight's offering is one of my favorites. Toward the end of my pregnancy with my son, I was confined to bed for a few months. My friends would come over and we'd pop Grease into the VHS (yes, I'm that old) and sing all the songs and they'd do all the crazy dances. We each had our assigned roles. I got to be Rizzo because I was the crazy and ornery one. I also still have the ORIGINAL vinyl from when the movie released in 1978.

This movie features a very young John Travolta as Danny Zucko, high school bad boy and Olivia Newton-John as the ultimate good girl Sandy Olsen. Sandy is a transfer student from Australia who happens to meet up with Danny over the summer. They're just two kids who never expect to see each other again. As if. The next hour and a half is a frolicking ride filled with catchy tunes, smarmy set-ups and Frankie Avalon as the guardian angel of Beauty School Students. If you've never seen Grease, take a couple of hours and have a good time with it.

On the menu:
Healthy Shrimp Scampi

1 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, raw
1/4 cup white wine
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Melt butter and oil then add garlic. Saute 1 minute. Add shrimp, saute 1 minute. Add wine, lemon juice and pepper. Saute until sauce reduces and shrimp turns pink.

Tastes awesome with:
Mushroom Rice

8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 tablespoon parsley
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice (I love using Jasmine)
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/3 cups water

Saute mushrooms in the butter until brown. Add spices and rice and cook until the rice begins to brown, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken broth and water. Cover and return to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.

These recipes are from one of the greatest cookbooks I've ever been lucky to find: 500 Low Glycemic Index Recipes by Dick Logue and available from Fair Winds Press. It's pretty much the only I use now. If you're interested, here's a link. Go buy the book!

Happy reading,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment