Thursday, July 26, 2012

Muse Protection Program

Photo courtesy of Svilen Milev www.efffective.com (yes, three F's!)
As writers, we're a pretty neurotic bunch. I suspect more than half of us are also superstitious. I know I am. When I write, I have to have the same music on (Original Cast Recording from the Phantom of the Opera starring Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford), be in same clothes (smurf pajama bottoms and a t-shirt), have the same drink at hand (Dr Pepper for story stuff, Llano Blush for the sexy stuff) and be at a real desk (I've tried to write propped up in bed or lounging in the chaise and it's just so unproductive!). I also follow the exact same routine when I get on the computer and before I start writing. I like to think of it as priming my muse. Getting her out of bed and ready to face the writing day.
First, I check my email. Then Facebook. Then Twitter. I scan my favorite news sites (5 in all) then finally open up my music player and hit play on Phantom. I'm ready to go and so is my muse. She settles down and we kick some serious writing ass. That blinking cursor and white screen don't scare us!

It hasn't always been this way, though. In fact, it's only been a few years since I got BACK into writing. I was in a void of creativity for two years and it was a most depressing time. I was often grumpy and empty yet every time I tried to start anything, even write one lousy sentence, my muse dove for the covers and refused to come out. She'd been beaten near to death with a very large stick. And probably a bomb made of C4.


Unfortunately what was going on wasn't quite that obvious. It was subtle and stealthy and nearly lethal to my creative side. When I finally realized that the situation was killing my muse, I removed myself from the situation but my muse refused to come out to play.

Squee! The Muse and  I
celebrate our first
release!
As I said, it took her two years to come back out. I lured her out with Julie Cameron's The Artist's Way, good, supportive friends, sheer determination and a rope. It was one of the hardest things I'd done but it was a positive thing. Not long after, I published Her Dark Master, my first book. I was elated.

Things went swimmingly for a while then I ran into another roadblock when I was unexpectedly waylaid by a wall of censure and cold shoulders. The thing that made this really bad is the attitude emanated from people I trusted and confided in. I fought for months and I felt my muse slipping further and further away. This time, though, I was determined not to let her go. I threw the rope around her teeny little waist and yanked with all my strength.

Then, I sat down and had a talk with myself. It was rough and often rude and there was lots of crying (hey, I said we were neurotic. Not only do we hear the voices in our heads, we often argue with them.) When the tissues were sodden and the chocolate consumed, I had an epiphany. She and I worked out a deal to protect her at all costs: write for myself, my characters and no one else. Ever since I had that brainstorm, my muse and I have been happily burning up the keyboard with lots of books (nine of them with more on the way!) and even more ideas. I can quite often be caught with my face frozen, mouth agape and brain working feverishly. Thankfully, my family is used to this expression and now, instead of calling an ambulance, they hand me something to write on.

The lesson of Muse Protection came to the fore again today when I was involved in a discussion with fellow authors about how to handle the things we all have to face like rejection, critics, ridicule and the ever popular "You write what?!" I offered my two cents, then my muse and I happily went back to writing a chilling little story that makes my skin crawl and her cackle with absolute glee.

I'm not sure about the story, but she's having a blast and really, if your muse is happy, who cares?

So, protect your muse. Protect your writing. Cull from your life those who would drag you down and pummel your muse into creative unconsciousness. She deserves much better than that.

P.S. My muse just happens to be the adult form of Ember, the daughter of Cutter & Leetah from Elfquest by the genius and talented brains of Richard & Wendy Pini. If you don't know Elfquest, then you are so missing out. It's one of the coolest graphic comic series in the history of ever. Check it out! My Ember muse image is from the Gatherum. She's totally grown, sporting a huge assed sword and looking smug and defiant. LOVE IT.

Happy reading,
Jennifer

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, Jennifer. I had to do some culling of the friends/family herd as of late. My muse is a stubborn one however. Even though it's only been about eight months since my first book was published, I now have four out, two which I doing the finishing touches on and three more started despite very religious in-laws who claim I'm the Devil incarnate...lol!!
    Again, wonderful post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ember! Yes! I loved Elfquest back in the day. Smite those reviewers, girl! Nastybad criticthings!

    My current muse is Jared Padalecki, with a side order of Misha Collins. If Supernatural ever goes off the air, I'll probably have to stop writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debbie. It's a hard lesson to learn. It's very difficult to cull people but sometimes a necessity. Good luck with your books! That's awesome you have so many out.
    Pat, thank goodness for DVDs, right?! heehee Jared is not a bad muse at all, though I think I'd get kind of distracted cause I'm sure I'd imagine all sorts of naked and naughty things rather than writing them.
    Love me some Elfquest. I also tend to cast Troll aspersions on those who would knock me down. I think of them as Picknose and my whole day gets brighter. heehee
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Jennifer. My muse has disappeared on several occasions, but no doubt it shall return, hopefully bigger and stronger than ever. :-)

    I have been snubbed at work, with family, and with friends because of what I write, and that was before I even wrote a single word to do with BDSM.

    I have had to jettison those wishing to knock me down. My friend list is considerably smaller than it used to be, but then the ones that are left are thoroughly supportive. :-)

    I must say, I've been overwhelmed with the support of co Siren authors. Now I know where to come if I need help.

    Jennifer, I was particularly interested in what you said about sitting at a desk, and not lounging with a laptop in bed. (That's exactly what I do) Maybe I should create more of an office space where I can work without being interrupted every five minutes.

    Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer,

    Okay this is a great post. I am new to this game of writing, but I've found some rituals already taking form. I also suffered from the review-tainting that occurs to us all. I have now vowed not to read them. I just can't make everyone happy and if I try I won't get another word down. I enjoy writing for my own sanity and the sanity of those around me (my muse makes me hostile if we go too long between writing bouts).

    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan, I'm sorry you've been snubbed. It always amazes me that people can be so condemning. Taking control is the best thing to do. I definitely recommend a devoted writing/desk space. I used to have the TV on when I wrote and that got very distracting. Now, I only have baseball or football or hockey games on because they're pretty good white noise until something exciting happens. Or I'll it on mute and glance up from time to time to see what's going on. But yes, a space where you can sit down and create is a great thing. If I could get myself off the interwebs more often, that would be better :) As it is, I have to shut down the whole thing AND turn off my wireless connector when I'm writing. I'm terribly weak in letting my procrastination get the better of me and there are few better ways to do that than the Web. I have found the Siren atmosphere pretty darn welcoming, too. I can't wait for conference to meet some of y'all in person!
    Lea, Welcome to the world of writing, crazy as it is. I'm sorry about the review-taint, that's pretty sucky, but yes - expected. I don't look for them anymore. If I happen upon one, I'll usually read it, but no more seeking them out. I like your muse, she has an awesome mindset to keep you in line! LOL "Write what I say and no one gets hurt..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer, since I had wireless connectivity to my laptop it has been very bad for concentration. Like you I have to switch it off, and try not to be tempted to switch it back on, like I've just done. LOL.

    I'd better go and practice some self discipline... Hey, that could be a line in my next book. Maybe the muse has returned after all.

    ReplyDelete